Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts Information Technology Specialist (Security) in Washington, District Of Columbia
These positions are located within the Information Technology Security Office (ITSO) of the Department of Technology Services. As an IT Specialist (Security), the incumbent is a recognized IT security expert with a strong background in cyber-security, network security engineering, and a proven record of successful leadership in "hands on" intrusion detection discovery security activities and data analysis. The incumbents are responsible for overseeing and participating in the management of Security Operations Center (SOC) intrusion detection shift. This work is performed by a skilled contractor cyber team, whose focus is on security event monitoring, alerting, and response as part of a shift that forms part of the Judiciary's 24/7 coverage team. The incumbents will facilitate the successful discovery of intrusion attempts and compromises through reviews and analysis of relevant event detail and summary information and must be able to synthesize data from multiple logging sources. The intrusion detection shift lead is the subject matter expert for all intrusion detection and reporting activities with oversight for their assigned shift. The incumbents will provide authoritative decisions for handling incidents reported to the government. The incumbents may be asked to support the government mentoring training of Court personnel who visit the SOC to experience the work being performed. The intrusion detection shift lead acts as a point of contact for escalations to ITSO-SOC management or the Judiciary Automated Systems Incident Response Capability.
Learn more about this agency
Directing a contractor shift team of individuals responsible for providing Cyber monitoring, detection and reporting.
Overseeing and coordinating the activities of shift team supporting the security of critical production environments.
Executing Cyber emergency response procedures.
Working closely with Court Incident Response Teams to analyze and resolve security incidents.
Developing and maintaining technical, analytical, and practical proficiencies needed to ensure the team is successful in the discovery of intrusion attempts and compromises.
Developing, maintaining, and reporting upon metrics to measure operational effectiveness; providing reports and statistics as required to ITSO management, as requested.
Leading the shift team according to strategies and plans for projects/platforms, ensuring overall alignment to the IT security strategy.
- #### Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Conditions of Employment
- All information is subject to verification. Applicants are advised that false answers or omissions of information on application materials or inability to meet the following conditions may be grounds for non-selection, withdrawal of an offer of employment, or dismissal after being employed.
- Selection for this position is contingent upon completion of OF-306, Declaration of Federal Employment during the pre-employment process and proof of U.S. citizenship for competitive status positions or conversion to a competitive status position with the Administrative Office of the US Courts. In instances where non-citizens are considered for hire into temporary or any other position with non competitive status or when it is confirmed by the AO's Human Resources Office that there are no qualified U.S. citizens for a competitive status position (unless prohibited by a law or statue), non-citizens must provide proof of authorization to work in the United States and proof of entitlement to receive compensation. Additional information on the employment of non-citizens can be found at http://ww.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/non-citizens. For a list of documents that may be used to provide proof of citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, please refer to Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification.
- Subject to a background/security investigation.
- You will be required to serve a trial period if selected for a first-time appointment to the Federal government, transferring from another Federal agency, or serving as a first-time supervisor. Failure to successfully complete the trial period may result in termination of employment. This does not apply to current federal Judiciary employees.
- Relocation expenses may be provided, but only if authorized by the Director of the AO.
- The selectee of this position may be assigned to an official duty station outside the advertised area.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- All requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Applicants must have demonstrated experience as listed below. This requirement is according to the AO Classification, Compensation, and Recruitment Systems which include interpretive guidance and reference to the OPM Operating Manual for Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions.
Basic Requirements: You must have Information Technology (IT) related experience which demonstrates proficiency in each of the following competencies: * Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail. * Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services. * Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately. * Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations. AND
Specialized Experience: Applicants must have at least one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience which is in or directly related to the line of work of this position. Specialized experience must demonstrate ALL areas defined below:
(1) Working in a cybersecurity operations environment managing end-to end intrusion detection process; AND
(2) Leading and managing workloads of a security operations center personnel.
(Resume must show clear and convincing evidence of all areas of specialized experience. We will not make assumptions.)
The following certifications are desired but not required: * Gold-level SANS GIAC Certification, GCWN * Gold-level SANS GIAC Certification, GCUX * Information Security Certification (ISC2) * Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
This position does not require education to qualify.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and supporting documentation and compare this information to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this job. If you meet the minimum qualifications for this job, we will evaluate your application package, to assess the quality, depth, and complexity of your accomplishments, experience, and education as they relate to the requirements listed in this vacancy announcement.
You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume and/or narrative responses, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Failure to submit the mandatory narrative responses will result in not receiving full consideration and/or rating credit. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you, withdrawing an offer of employment, or dismissal after being employed.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
- Required Documents
For this job announcement the following documents and/or information are required:
- Resume - Any written format you choose to describe your job-related qualifications.
- Citizenship - Include country of citizenship on resume.
- Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) - All applicants outside of the AO must submit a copy of your latest SF-50 to verify current or former Federal employment status.
- Veterans Preference documentation - Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214), if applicable Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference (SF-15) and an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying to the veteran's present receipt of compensation.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 05/07/2018 to receive consideration. To begin, click
- Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10182303
Agency contact information
Department of Technology Services One Columbus Circle, NE Washington, DC US
Learn more about this agency
After a review of your complete application is made, you will be notified of your rating and referral to the hiring official if determined qualified. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496012300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/16/2018 to 05/07/2018
Salary: $81,548 to $152,852 per year
Pay scale & grade: AD 00
Work schedule: Full-Time
Appointment type: Permanent